Monday, May 6, 2013

A Few Furniture Projects and a Little Setback

After having a blast visiting High Point, I had a busy weekend of shopping a large antiques festival, attending an auction, and re-stocking my booth.  With the house being for sale and all the extra time and cleaning required for maintaining a house that's on the market, finding and working on paint projects was taking a backseat. It's not a great combination...a furniture hobby filling the garage while the house is for sale.  At first, I almost completely emptied the garage, but my second-nature took over at last weekend's auction and I scored tons of great stuff.

Old White with Duck Egg Wash Console Table
I jumped right into painting last Monday and completed a large console table (above), a dresser, dining room table, and a few side tables in a couple of days...
Duck Egg - Marble-top Side Table
I also got to play around with a new can of Briwax's Liming Wax which is great for getting that "pickled" look on furniture...
You can easily white-wash a piece and seal it with wax, but the Liming Wax is great for getting into the color into grooves of open-grained wood (like oak) and sealing at the same time.
You should be able to find Liming Wax at your local woodworking store like Wood Craft.  It's stinky stuff...just warning you, but it's a great product to have around...
In case you're wondering where my dresser and dining table pictures are... that's where my week took a nosedive.  After some last minute schedule changes, I ended up having to take my three (almost four-year-old) to the Liberty Antiques Festival the weekend before.  Not a big deal right...I've been shopping antique shows and being a vendor at many of them for years with multiple kids at my side.  It's not the best scenario, but I always got by.  Anyway, I ended up having to carry her on my hip half the day and ended up tweaking my back.  There's just something about carrying weight unevenly that throws my back off...I've been moving furniture for years and never have thrown my back out after lifting and moving furniture (and I've moved hundreds of pieces)!  I took it easy for a day and then had no problem loading and unloading the auction furniture the next day...or painting the next several days.  It took painting the legs of the dining room table at an odd angle to completely throw my back out and was out of commission for several days.  My chiropractor said I went "full throttle" and threw out half my back...it was a doozie! Not fun!  I've been under strict orders to leave the furniture alone for a bit, but I'll be back at it today or tomorrow, but I'll put the pieces up on some sawhorses this time!

Kristen

Sharing at:

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I always enjoy looking at the results of your treasure hunt and hard work. I hope your back stays healthy.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

All of your pieces look wonderful. I love the soft blue you are adding to them. Sorry to hear about your back, hope you feel better soon. Hugs, marty

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Take care of yourself Kristen...The tables are so beautiful, as always...and we patiently look forward to your other projects!...rest up!!

Peppermint_Patt said...

Sometimes when things happen it's to slow you down. Sounds like you're burning the candle at both ends, so be sure and take the time for yourself. Moving, as I am sure you know, ranks up there with life's stressor's, so take care. Hope you are going to be in Greensboro on May 11!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Where do you get your cotton?

Unknown said...

Love the soft blue pieces...so pretty for summer decorating. Feel better soon.

Suzy said...

Your pieces are just beautiful, Kristen. I hope you'll listen to your chiropractor and take care of your back!

Pia @HiddenCharm.net said...

Beautiful job as always! Sorry your back is hurting.... Mine too! I was a vendor at liberty this year, my first time there as a vendor and as a buyer! How was it compared to past shows? Hope you feel better soon!
Pia

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

I love your tables! I used to have one just like that little marble topped one but I sold it at a yard sale. It wasn't painted, just stained. Love that lime wax! Thank you so much for passing the word about it. I'm going to give it a try! So sorry about your back! I have back issues so I know how painful and how much of a nuisance it can be. Hope you're feeling better soon! Hugs, Leena

Anne Boykin said...

Sorry to hear about your back. I've never heard of liming wax. I love how it brings the grain out. Thanks for your lovely blog!

Unknown said...

Oh awful about your back! I cannot believe how much the Duck Egg looks like a mint color in your pictures! Did you clear wax them? They are gorgeous and now I want to whip out my Duck Egg again to paint something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...